Do you know, INDIA is currently the sickest nation as per recent data surveys, not just in terms of diseases, fitness as well. INDIA also on top notch on most depressed countries in Asia.
- One woman dies of cervical cancer every 8 minutes in INDIA.
- For every 2 women newly diagnosed with breast cancer, one woman dies of it in INDIA.
- As many as 2,500 persons die every day due to tobacco-related diseases in INDIA.
- Smoking accounts for 1 in 5 deaths among men and 1 in 20 deaths among women, accounting for an estimated 9,30,000 deaths in 2010.
What is cancer ?
Cancer is unwanted growth of abnormal cells anywhere in a human body.And more than 100 types of cancers affect humans.
- Cancers are classified based on the organ or we can say type of cell in which they originate.
- Sarcomas are cancers that occur in the bone, cartilage, fat, muscle, blood vessels, or other connective or supportive tissue.
- Carcinomas are cancers that occur on the skin or tissues that line internal organs.
- Central nervous system cancers are cancers that occur in the cells of the brain and spinal cord.
- Leukemias are cancers that occur in the cells of the blood and bone marrow.
- Lymphomas are cancers that occur in the cells of the immune system and typically appear within the lymphatic system.
Cancer Signs and Symptoms
Cancer often has no specific symptoms, so it is important that people limit their risk factors and undergo appropriate cancer screening.Signs depend on the specific type and grade of cancer, although general signs and symptoms are not very specific, but the following can be found in patients with different cancers unusual bleeding, weight loss, pain, skin changes, tissue masses,fatigue, persistent cough, voice change, fever, lumps, or change in bowel or bladder function.
- Tobacco use is the cause of about 22% of cancer deaths.
- Another 10% are due to obesity, poor diet, lack of physical activity, and excessive drinking of alcohol.
- Other factors include certain infections, exposure to ionizing radiation and environmental pollutants.
- In the developing world nearly 20% of cancers are due to infections such as hepatitis B, hepatitis C and human papillomavirus infection.
These factors act, at least partly, by changing the genes of a cell. Typically many genetic changes are required before cancer develops. Approximately 5–10% of cancers are due to inherited genetic defects from a person’s parents.Cancer can be detected by certain signs and symptoms or screening tests.It is then typically further investigated by medical imaging and confirmed by biopsy (An examination of tissue removed from a living body to discover the presence, cause, or extent of a disease).
There are many types of cancer treatment. The types of treatment that you receive will depend on the type of cancer you have and how advanced it is.
Common Treatments for Cancer
- Radiation Therapy
- Targeted Therapy
Other Procedures and Techniques
- Stem Cell Transplant
- Photodynamic Therapy
- Blood Transfusion and Donation
- Lasers in Cancer Treatment